Re: [GENERAL] pgsql over ISDN lines ...

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgsql over ISDN lines ...
Date: 2000-01-25 17:43:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

> I've tried to use PostgreSQL over ISDN lines with about a timeout
> of ~60 seconds - when no traffic is done, the line is dropped.
>
> Actually I've done several tests under Linux with Adabas-D and
> I was *very* surprised to see, that the application was working
> with the database without any problems - even when the line
> was dropped. No problem at all .. for the next query the
> isdn line was build up again, the query was done and it hanged
> up again after timeout ...
>
> PostgreSQL seems to have *many* problems with it:
>
> 1) The system can not connect to the database, because of the time
> the isdn line needs to build up the connection.
>
> 2) After the line was dropped, the application was not able to
> use the connection to the database for further work.
>
> What could be done against such behaviour ?

Hmmm, I've just tried this, and it worked for me.

I've got ISDN here, so I setup a test server on one of my linux boxes at
work, then dropped the line.

I then tested #1 buy connecting to the server. It connected fine.

I then issued a query, which worked, then dropped the ISDN connection
(with the psql one still running).

With the ISDN down, I then issued another query using psql, and the ISDN
line came up, and after a couple of seconds, the query results were
returned.

>From the remote server:
template1=> select version();
version
PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66
(1 row)

And from the local server (the one I used psql from):
template1=> select version();
version
PostgreSQL 6.6.0 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66
(1 row)

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk