Duplicate Data/RAID-1/postgres 6.4.2

From: Dustin Tenney <tenney(at)snowman(dot)icebox(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Duplicate Data/RAID-1/postgres 6.4.2
Date: 1999-01-29 16:16:41
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I am in the process of porting some of my postgres databases over to a new
box. This box is linux 2.2.0 and is using RAID-1, disk mirroring. I am
having lots of problems with postgres. When you do a select you get the
same row twice. When you create a table you get it twice. Now at first
glance it would appear something with disk-mirroring, possibly the OS is
causing this. But I have lots of other things running on this box and
none our experiencing any troubles. Here is an example of the problem:

createdb test

psql test
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL

type \? for help on slash commands
type \q to quit
type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
You are currently connected to the database: test

test=> create table huh(test int);
CREATE
test=> \dt

Database = test
+------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
| Owner | Relation | Type |
+------------------+----------------------------------+----------+
| postgres | huh | table |
| atrix | huh | table |
+------------------+----------------------------------+----------+

I created the table with the user postgres. Atrix is another user that
owns another database. Is there anybody that has any experience with
postgres on a mirrored partition? Or has ever seen anything like this
before? I am pretty sure my raid is working, here is what /proc/mdstat
looks like:

Personalities : [3 raid1]
read_ahead 128 sectors
md0 : active raid1 sda5 sdb5 1542144 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md1 : active raid1 sda6 sdb6 1124416 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md2 : active raid1 sda7 sdb7 1028032 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md3 : active raid1 sda8 sdb8 128384 blocks [2/2] [UU]

/dev/md1 is mounted as /usr where postgres is installed. Any help with
these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dustin Tenney
tenney(at)icebox(dot)org