Re: [GENERAL] COPY with default values won't work?

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: Charles Tassell <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>
Cc: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] COPY with default values won't work?
Date: 1999-03-24 12:08:34
Lists: pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Charles Tassell wrote:

> @#$#!!  Any way to make COPY use default, or shove a lot of data in with a
> single INSERT query?  According to older messages in the mailing list, it
> is *possible*, but I can't get it to work.
> My problem is that I might be using this to put a few thousand entries in
> the db every night, and when I last attempted this using a few thousand
> insert statements, it was awfully slow (on the order of taking HOURS)

You could write a perl script to read the data column by column frm the
text file and insert it into the databse using the Pg module.

Brett W. McCoy
Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."

Version: 3.12
GAT dpu s:-- a C++++ UL++++$ P+ L+++ E W++ N+ o K- w--- O@ M@ !V PS+++
PE Y+ PGP- t++ 5- X+ R+@ tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G++ e>++ h+(---) r++ y++++