Re: ResultSet.getDate

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Peter Garner <peter_garner(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: webmaster(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ResultSet.getDate
Date: 1999-02-01 13:46:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Peter Garner wrote:

> Hi Peter! ;-)
>
> I think I may have found a problem in the postgres
> JDBC driver V6.4. (BTW I assume the one I build from
> the released source in postgresql-6.4.2.tar.gz is the
> same as the jdbc6.4.jar downloadable from your web site
> at http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres ? In anycase, the
> problem seems to occur with both.)
>
> Anyway I get an SQLException (well a parse exception,
> really), when attempting to use the ResultSet.getDate
> methods. The exception messages are (I omitted the
> portions of the stack trace through my code):
>
> Bad Date Format: at 0 in Fri Jan 29 04:29:50 1999 UTC
> at postgresql.ResultSet.getDate(ResultSet.java:408)
>
> Indeed, "Fri Jan 29 04:29:50 1999 UTC" is how dates are
> output from my postgres databases. I am useing Redhat
> 5.2 and postgres built from the above mentioned source
> file. The date format that is being selected for the
> date formatter (ResultSet.java, line #403) is
>
> "MM-dd-yyyy"
>
> Which is of course not what postgres sends. Also, in
> looking at this code, it seems that the time portion
> is being thrown away in ResultSet.getDate, I am not
> sure if this is what is intended from looking at the
> JDBC API documentation published by Sun.

I'll check, but what version of the JDK/JRE are you using? The
java.util.Date class was broken in pre jdk1.1.6 VM's.

I am thinking on re-working the date handling for PostgreSQL 6.5, as I'm
still seeing problems with them.

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk