Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC ResultSetMetaData.getColumnType and getColumnTypeName work properly?

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Shankha Mitra <ssm(at)antrim(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC ResultSetMetaData.getColumnType and getColumnTypeName work properly?
Date: 1998-12-28 13:56:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Shankha Mitra wrote:

> If I create a table thus:
>
> CREATE TABLE title (
> 	title		text	NOT NULL,
> 	editions	int4[]
> );
>
> and through the JDBC ResultMetaData.getColumnType() interface try to get
> the
> type of the 'editions' column, I get the value sql.Types.OTHER.  I would
> have
> guessed it would have been Types.ARRAY.  Am I missing something?

Yes, there is no constant of Types.ARRAY in JDBC (see below). The
implementation sets the type to OTHER if it doesn't recognise it.

> Also getColumnTypeName() returns _int4; is that correct?

no, it should return String - will check.

> Shankha Mitra
>

> As an aside, I decided to print out the values of all the JDBC types and
> I get:
> ARRAY=2003

In JDBC2 2003 equates to the new value Types.REF (atleast in my copy of
the documentation), and there is no ARRAY type.

What JDK are you using? Looking at these values, 2000 and higher are
introduced in 1.2 so they will not yet be supported.

Currently JDK2 (formerly 1.20 is not supported. I'm about to start work on
this today - having to revert to Win95 to do it though :-( )

--
       Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk