Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL is better than other commerial softwares?

From: Anton de Wet <adw(at)obsidian(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL is better than other commerial softwares?
Date: 1998-12-18 08:57:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> > On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Quick mailing list support
> >
> > except they cant tell me why a Dump/Restore from 6.3>6.4 wont work fore
> > some people. :)
>
> Often quick mailing list support?

:-)

While on the subject I finally found the solution to a problem I (and one
or two other people) posted about without answer. (So sometimes it's slow
mailing list support).

In importing about 5 million records (which I copy in blocks of 10000) the
copy became linearly slower. After a friend RTFM and refered me, I used
the -F switch (passed by the postmaster to the backend processes) and the
time became linear and a LOT shorter. Import time for the 5000000 records
now the same (or maybe even slightly faster, I didn't accurately time
them) as importing the data into oracle on the same machine.

Anton