Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd)

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "Andrew R(dot) Jackson" <ajackson(at)dezines(dot)com>
Cc: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Interfaces List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd)
Date: 1998-11-30 15:18:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Andrew R. Jackson wrote:

> First, let me preface my answer to say that the main reason I am
> subscribed to this list is to read Peter's, and occassionally others',
> answers, comments, etc about using JDBC with Postgres.

which was why I was asking on Friday why my posts weren't appearing on the
list - now solved.

> To answer Peter's question, personally I would prefer two drivers,
> each separate. The reason for this is that I don't want a Makefile
> deciding which one (1) will be compiled and installed when I have two
> (2) different versions of Java on most of the systems I work on (most
> have 3 Javas, actually). I'd hate to be locked into using one driver
> version, and thus one Java version for Postgres stuff, because the
> Makefile only detected one of the Javas (which would be the 1.1.x one
> for now and some long time into the future). I want to choose. I want
> to be able to develop a Java 1.1.x solution and a Java 1.2 solution,
> not either/or.

Which was why I posted the query. I wanted to find out what everyone
thought (see the other reply).

> Now, what really matters is good install instructions. If the
> instructions included ways to solve problems like the one above, then
> that's best and I don't care. Nothing beats good, copius, verbose,
> clear, well-maintained docs. :)

There's a lot of documentation in the 6.4 docs directory (can't remember
how many pages, but before formatting, it was about 70 pages?).

--
Peter Mount, IT Section
petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk