RE: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL

From: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>
To: Jeff Duska <jeff(at)duska(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-12-28 11:20:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Jeff Duska wrote:

> [SNIP]
> Java support in the database?
> Just about all the current db have support for Java in the database.

... which isnt where it belongs. java is (barely) an applications-level
language, not a systems-level language. let your app treat the data it
gets from a rdbms as an object/entity, not vice versa. i think javablend
from Sun does something like this ( creating objects from rdbms data ) and
im positive NeXT/Apple's Enterprise Objects Framework does this. GNUstep's
'DBkit' ( or whatever its called ) does the same thing, but is based on
EOF1.0. its a much, much nicer approach to the whole issue, not to
mention quite a bit more flexible and portable.

> [SNIP]
> Internet
> Oracle, IBM and other have all kinds of different Internet technologies such
> as portable version of the database -- XML, HTML export and imports,
> CORBA/Application Server type support.

would be rather trivial to write an export app that dumps the data into
html format. in fact, psql does this already.

> [SNIP]

---
Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org> URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"I've learned that you cannot make someone love you.
All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in."