Re: [INTERFACES] PL_na undeclared

From: John Cusick <jcusick(at)exotrope(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] PL_na undeclared
Date: 1999-09-30 20:52:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> John Cusick <jcusick(at)exotrope(dot)net> writes:
> > I patched the 6.5.1 source yesterday to 6.5.2 and when making the perl
> > interface I get the following error:
> > 'PL_na' undeclared (first use this function)
> > throughout the make process.
>
> We've heard reports of that before.  Apparently, the low-level
> interfaces to Perl have changed incompatibly in the recent past
> (between 5.004 something and 5.005 something I think).
>
> We have been looking for a Perl guru who knows how to make Pg.pm
> work under both older and newer Perls --- breaking back revs to
> work with the latest doesn't seem particularly appealing :-(
>
> Know any Perl gurus?

Unfortunately, no.  Most people in my hometown never heard of it.

> > My system is a Redhat5.1 based running 2.2.10 with updated glibc as well
> > as perl 5.004.04.
>
> Are you sure it's not 5.005 something?  5.004_04 is what I'm using here,
> and it seems perfectly happy with the current Pg.pm.  The folks who
> reported this error before were using bleeding-edge Perls...
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Tom, et. al.

Yes, I'm sure I'm using perl5.004.04 (Redhat perl-5.004m4-1.rpm distro)
This was an update on the Redhat site.

I have searched through all the header files on my system that are
declared in pg.c and there is no reference to PL_na in any of them.
I also searched through the original 5.004.04 that came with Redhat5.1 and
it isn't declared in any of the perl files there either.

Does anyone know where PL_na is declared (and, out curiousity, what it
is)?

Thanks for everyone's time in reading this.

Sincerely
John C.