performance comparisons...

From: Matthew Hixson <hixson(at)frozenwave(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: performance comparisons...
Date: 1998-11-19 09:20:11
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hello, I'm currently looking for any documentation anyone on the list
knows of that shows the performance of Linux on any Intel hardware
(preferrably a dual PII) for serving web/database services. I know I'm
stretching the off-topicness here, but please bear with me. I promise
I'll have some more on topic questions soon.
I built my first web/database integration system about a year ago using
PostgreSQL. It went so well that I'm turning to it again for a large
(25,000) user project. PostgreSQL will be used to maintain user
information and perform other smaller tasks for our customers.
What I'm looking for right now is any sort of benchmark that shows how
much traffic a dual PII machine, running Linux, can handle while
processing database transaction with PostgreSQL. Even any document that
shows how many hits per minute a machine like this could take serving flat
HTML documents would come in handy. I have to sell this system (hardware,
OS, and PostgreSQL) to a customer tomorrow and am looking for anything
that will convince them that this machine is going to be fast enough.
The machine will also have SCSI and anywhere from 128 - 256 MB of RAM.
Thanks for any help,
-M@

--
Matthew Hixson - CIO Linux, n;
FroZenWave Communications the nouveau postmodern operating