Re: [INTERFACES] applet don't go

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: antibo(at)mclink(dot)it, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] applet don't go
Date: 1998-10-26 18:46:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> At 17:32 +0200 on 26/10/98, Andrea Antibo wrote:
> > I wrote un applet that link postgres, it works fine only if I run it by
> > appletviewer. By netscape it don't works.
> >
> > What I can do?
>
> Applets allow you to connect only to the server on which they live
> themselves. That is, if  the Applet's source URL is on machine aaa.bbb.com,
> the datbase to which you connect must also be on aaa.bbb.com
>
> Appletviewer is more lenient about this, to allow you to test things from
> your own machine etc.
>
> Solutions:
>
> Run Postgres on the same machine as the applet.
>
> or
>
> Write a server which does the connection on behalf of your applet and
> returns it the results, and run it on the applet's machine.

Although I haven't tried it, the plug-gw module from fwtk (a free proxy
based firewall toolkit) should do this ok (I don't think it handles OOB
packets, but the current JDBC drivers don't use that option [yet] ).

PS: I don't have the url for this handy, but if anyone needs it, I'll post
it from work tomorrow.

Peter

--
       Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk