Re: [INTERFACES] Where can I get documentation on the using the JDBC interface?

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Phil McGlauchlin <pmcglauchlin(at)gr(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Where can I get documentation on the using the JDBC interface?
Date: 1998-10-19 22:01:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Phil McGlauchlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get the jdbc interface to work but I keep getting a
> SQLException "connection refused".

Connection refused means there is nothing listening for the connection.
Check you have started the postmaster with -i

> I am using a simple Java application that does a "select* from member" on a
> table named "member" in the database "Membership". I am passing the
> following url: "jdbc:postgresql:membership?<username>&<passwd>"
>
> Is this a userid/password problem? I first tried the url without a user,
> then with "postgres" and no password, and finally with a new user I created.
> I used the createuser command to create the user but I couldn't figure out
> how to set the password.

No, the exception would read differently. It's definitely caused by no
tcp/ip socket being available.

tip: check that pg_hba.conf is also configured correctly.

> I have spent a while searching the web site and the Postgresql documentation
> for answers but I can't find much documentation on the jdbc driver. Where do
> I go to get it?

http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/ has my FAQ and legacy drivers.

There's a lot of documentation being prepared for 6.4

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk