Re: [INTERFACES] lo_tell

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "Christopher S(dot) Weimann" <cweimann(at)wallnet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] lo_tell
Date: 1998-08-17 09:40:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Christopher S. Weimann wrote:

> I need to search a database for some text that is in a large object.
> It seems that there isn't a way to put a large object in a WHERE so
> I am trying to write a c function that will return the text stored
> in a large object so I can do a comparison in the WHERE.
> Anyway in the course of this I discoverd that lo_tell returns an
> int rather than a long.  Is there a limitation to the size of a
> large object or just a limitation in lo_tell?

There shouldn't be a limit, except that the lo is stored in as a
table/index pair - and they are not tested much past 2Gb (not many of us
have larger than 2Gb spare to test it).

> PS:  If anyone has a suggestion for a better way to search on a
>      large object I'd love to hear it.

I'd bee interested to see if there are any better ways of performing

I claimed the TODO item for enabling the text type to use large objects,
and enabling searches is a must for it.

Peter Mount (at work) peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk or peter(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk
If you mail me here, please cc my home address peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk