Re: [GENERAL] Can I store bitmap graphics in a table?

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
Cc: Dan Delaney <dionysos(at)dionysia(dot)org>, PostgreSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Can I store bitmap graphics in a table?
Date: 1998-07-25 13:05:10
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> 	b) Couldn't figure out how to delete a BLOB and have it go away (since
> 	   you only store the reference to the BLOB).

lo_unlink deletes a blob.

> 	c) They don't back up with pgdump, which isn't too bad of a problem,
> 	   since I don't mind making my own dump program.

I did have some code that backed up any large objects in a database into a
zip file using the JDBC interface.

hmmm, I'll see if I can dig it up and add it to the jdbc examples in the
distribution.

> 	Is the BLOB interface being worked on at all?  I'd be interested in
> making my program do things a little closer to the ``right'' way.  :)  (or
> maybe playing with the BLOB interface myself).

I'm looking at blob orphaning, which I think I may have solved. Hopefully,
I'll have something working by Monday.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk