Re: [GENERAL] ODBC driver

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: Peter Cordone <pcordone(at)ee(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ODBC driver
Date: 1998-06-03 02:37:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Peter Cordone wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the ODBC driver for Postgres. I have a linux
> box on the network and the postgres server is running on it. I am
> trying to connect to the sample database mydb from a Windows NT ver 4.0
> machine though ODBC with C++ Builders BDE.
>
> I get the following errors:
>
> Unknown user name or password.
>
> Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'pcordone' using <unknown
> authentication type>: be_recvauth: unrecognized

Did you create a Postgres user with the 'createuser' tool (usually run by
the postgres superuser (but not root))? This allows designated users to
use postgresql databases, and in some cases, create and destroy and even
set database permissions for other users.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972