Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again

From: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)proxy(dot)bazzanese(dot)com>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Date: 1998-03-26 14:10:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> Zeugswetter Andreas writes:
> > I am well accustomed to the deficiencies of Oracle. But in Oracle you don't have read locks,
> > and so a read only program does no harm if it only does one commit when it exits
> > (except maybe block the RBS if it did one small update).
> > Since postgresql does have read locks, such a program will lock all resources as time goes by,
> > if it does not do frequent commits. Not to speak of memory, that does not get freed.
>
> You got a point with this.
>
> > Hmmm ? you don't tell the backend when the program exits ?
>
> So far I don't. Does anyone know whether there's a disconnect command
> somewhere? In embedded SQL that is. Oracle uses 'commit work release'.

The DISCONNECT statement is used to terminate an inactive
SQL-Connection. A SQL-Connection can be closed whether it is the
current SQL-Connection or a dormant SQL-Connection, but may not
closed while a transaction is on-going for its associated
SQL-session.

The required syntax for the DISCONNECT statement is:

DISCONNECT
<Connection Name> |
DEFAULT |
CURRENT |