Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgresql broken

From: Cristian Gafton <gafton(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgresql broken
Date: 1998-03-01 09:32:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> The test is to start up psql and try
>
> select '$1.00'::money;
>
> which fails. I believe this works on other platforms, and I distinctly recall getting

That is true, it fails. However, if you could point to me where exactly
something is going wrong I could try and have a look at it. I don't really
feel like digging into postgresql source to see which functions are at
fault. A small C test program will be nice.

> 2) pre-glibc2.0.7 has rounding bugs which cause odd results in some date/time
> routines. The test is to try
>
> select '4 hours'::timespan;

Yepp, it fails.

> which will return '3 hours 59 mins 60 secs' on a machine with problems. We have
> reports from someone running Debian that glibc2.0.7-pre1 (?) fixes the problem. Any
> idea on when glibc2.0.7 might be available?

the 2.0.7pre1 is available. However, if the debian folks fixed this
problem, I can tell you that their patch didn't made it so far in the
glibc source tree. Again, a small C test program that shows what exactly
fails will be nice.

> 3) the ownership of the data area is incorrect as shipped (I assume this is
> rpm-specific). On my RH5.0 machine, which is a VAResearch system with Linux/Postgres
> preinstalled, the data area was owned by root, and the backend cannot start up. If
> the ownership is changed to the postgres account then the backend starts.

I think that is a VAResearch thing. The package definitely installs the
/var/lib/pgsql directory owned by postgres account.

> Thanks for building a new RPM. I'll try it at work on my production machine tomorrow.
> Also, we will have new documentation in v6.3, including html and hardcopy, and you
> will want to repackage that too. Look in the doc directory (in a day or two; I'm
> still building the docs and haven't committed anything yet to the source tree).

I am still waiting to find out a way to get cvs read-only access to the
postgres sources. Downloading a full snapshot evey other day is not my
favorite game. Especially when a nice shell script can take care of
automatically generating new rpms every day... :-)

Best wishes,

Cristian
Cristian Gafton -- gafton(at)redhat(dot)com -- Red Hat Software, Inc.