Re: Using Threads?

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Junfeng Zhang <junfengz(at)cae(dot)wisc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Threads?
Date: 2000-12-04 11:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Junfeng Zhang wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to postgreSQL. When I read the documents, I find out the Postmaster
> daemon actual spawns a new backend server process to serve a new client
> request. Why not use threads instead? Is that just for a historical reason,
> or some performance/implementation concern?

 It's a little a historical reason, but not only. The PostgreSQL allows
 to use user defined modules (functions), it means that bad module or
 bug in core code crash one backend only, but postmaster run still. In the
 thread model crash all running backend. Big differntion is in the lock
 method too.

				Karel