Re: Query cache import?

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query cache import?
Date: 2000-11-01 00:16:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I never saw much traffic regarding Karel's work on making stored
> proceedures:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/karel-pgsql.txt
>
> What happened with this?  It looked pretty interesting. :(

 It's probably a little about me :-) ... well,

  My query cache is in usable state and it's efficient for all
things those motivate me to work on this.

 some basic features:

	- share parsed plans between backends in shared memory
	- store plans to private backend hash table
	- use parameters for stored queries
	- better design for SPI
			- memory usage for saved plans
			- save plans "by key"

 The current query cache code depend on 7.1 memory management. After
official 7.1 release I prepare patch with query cache+SPI (if not
hit me over head, please ..)

 All what will doing next time not depend on me, *it's on code developers*.

 For example Jan has interesting idea about caching all plans which
processing backend. But it's far future and IMHO we must go by small
steps to Oracle's funeral :-)

 If I need the query cache in the my work (typical for some web+pgsql) or
will some public interest I will continue on this, if not I freeze it.
(Exists more interesting work like http://mape.jcu.cz ... sorry of
advertising :-)

					Karel