Re: the contrib tree clean up

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: the contrib tree clean up
Date: 2000-06-15 08:29:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Karel Zak wrote:
>
> > Now I have fixed some Makefiles. My idea is add to all contrib modules
> > Makefile (and allow install contrib matter) and to
> > top-contrib-directory Makefile.global that define some definition
> > relevant for contrib only.
>
> Try to keep everything as local as possible, don't include
> ../src/Makefile.global either if at all possible. Make it a
> contrib/Makefile.global.in so you can substitute Autoconf variables into
> it.

But I want primary ../src/Makefile.global for compilation, because here
is all defined. I not sure if is good define it (same) again in contrib.
If we will (for example) defined path to LIBPG in two Makefiles we must
maintain these Makefiles. IMHO it is bad --- same data is good share not
define it twice.

A solution is put Makefile.global to top directory (over src) and use it in
all trees (contrib/docs/src). What?

> > A question, how install these files from contrib? (I inspire with
> > debian PG packages)
> >
> > *.sql - $(POSTGRESDIR)/sql
>
> @datadir@ (/usr/local/pgsql/share)
>
> > *.so - $(POSTGRESDIR)/modules
>
> @libdir@ (or perhaps libexecdir, depending on what it does)
>
> > exec-binary - $(POSTGRESDIR)/bin
>
> @bindir@

Agree.

> > *.doc - $(POSTGRESDIR)/doc
>
> Is there any documentation in contrib?

It is a little mazy, but yes.

> See <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html#SEC40> for the GNU makefile
> standards. Using anything else will just conflict with the Makefile
> cleanup I'm currently doing and thus be inconsistent again at the end. :)
>
> > The current state in contrib:
> >
> > apache_logging - Use it anyone? IMHO good candidate for *delete* or remove
> > to some web page like "Tips how use PostgreSQL"....
>
> The latter sounds good but why not keep it?

I can create in contrib dir "tips" and somethig like 'apache_logging' can be
put here.

> > bit - impossible compile, last change '2000/04/12 17:14:21'
> > It is already in main tree. Delete?
>
> I think this will be included into the main tree.

I detele it. Who not agree?

> > earthdistance - I fix it, it is probably ready now.
> >
> > likeplanning - haven't Makefile, I fix it
>
> This will be merged into the main tree.

I know, but in 7.1 (Tom)?

> > linux - haven't Makefile, I fix it
>
> This definitely doesn't need a make file.

All need Makefile :-) 'make install'

> > mSQL - Use it anyone?, I haven't idea where install it. It is a
> > "file.c". Delete?
>
> I think this is a wrapper library, hence @libdir(at)(dot)

OK.

> > datetime
>
> I think this is obsoleted by your to_char() and friends.

I look at it, and if you right, I delete it.

Karel