RE: pg_dumplo, thanks :) (fwd)

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Don Baccus'" <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pg_dumplo, thanks :) (fwd)
Date: 2000-04-06 16:42:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Peter Mount wrote:

> In the past I had thought of writing something similar as an example for
> JDBC (dump the LO's into a zip file). The thing I couldn't fathom (and
> now I'm saying this, it's probably a simple thing to do), was the
> restore. How do you create an lo with a specific oid?

Very good question. IMHO is not method (in standard API) how create LO with
a specific oid. The pg_dumplo during LO-dump import rewrite (UPDATE) your old
oid in defined column. Yes, you must not use LO's oid as join key between
tables or save LO's oid to the others columns than you defined in pg_dumplo
command line.

The TOAST is deliverance from this limitation.

Karel