Re: procedure returns a tuple

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: procedure returns a tuple
Date: 2000-04-04 12:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Karel Zak wrote:
>
> > I a little study on DejaNews a large discussion (October 1999) about new
> > fmgr and functions which return tuples. (IMHO 'function' is not good name
> > for this, better is 'procedure'.)

Jan, thanks for answer, I thought that I again ask about bad matter or
I send a stupid question :-)

>     Here  again, the proposed overhaul of the parse-/querytree is
>     the reason why we don't want to tackle  this  issue  now.  At
>     that  time,  any  relation as well as a 'procedure' (function
>     returning a tuple set) will become a "tuple-source". A  tuple
>     source  is  mainly  an abstract node, describing the shape of
>     tuples it returns, hiding how it produces them to the caller.
>
>     This  way,  there  is  no  fundamental  difference  between a
>     relation, a procedure or an external database link any  more.

Last weekend I a little explore current sources for this and the
current postgresql very "vegetates" on a relation and a example
transform statement code very depend on relation structs. Yes,
Berkeley's code design for this is not modular and abstract.

>     Up  to  now  we only have a vague idea in mind. And we're not
>     sure if we'll do this huge changes in the main CVS trunk or a
>     separate  branch.   Neither  have we decided when to start on
>     it, because we need a couple of key developers  at  the  same
>     time  to  ensure reasonable progress in that project (none of
>     us can do it alone).
>
>     After 7.0 is out, I'll try to collect all the design  issues,
>     break up the entire package into smaller chunks and develop a
>     project plan for it.

Well.

						Karel