Re: [HACKERS] Cache query implemented

From: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Cache query implemented
Date: 2000-02-28 14:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > EXECUTE name [ INTO x, y, ... ] [ USING a, b, ... ]
>
> This command "Associate input parametrs and output targets with a prepared
> statement and execute the statement" (SQL92).
>
> 'INTO' - I really not sure if is possible in PG join more plans into
> one plan. If I good understand, INTO is targetlist for cached
> query, but in cached query is targetlist too. Is any way how join/replace
> targetlist in cached query with targetlist from EXECUTE's INTO?
> (QueryRewrite?). But, INTO for EXECUTE is nod bad idea.

Sorry, previous paragraph is stupid. The 'into' is simple item in
the query struct and not any targetlist. I spend more time with previous
stupidity than with implementation:

EXECUTE <name>
[ INTO [ TEMPORARY | TEMP ] [ TABLE ] new_table ]
[ USING val, ... ]

test=# prepare sel as select * from tab;
PREPARE
test=# execute sel into x;
SELECT
test=# select * from x;
id | data
1 | aaaa
2 | bbbb
3 | cccc
4 | dddd
5 | eeee
(5 rows)

The PostgreSQL source code is really very modular :-)

Karel