Re: [HACKERS] Tree type, how best to impliment?

From: Terry Mackintosh <terry(at)terrym(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Tree type, how best to impliment?
Date: 1998-11-24 02:04:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Mark Hollomon wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > A purely stylistic suggestion: IDs of the form "1.2.3.4" might be
> > mistaken for IP addresses, which of course they ain't. It might save
> > confusion down the road to use a different delimiter. Not slash either
> > unless you want the things to look like filenames ... maybe comma or
> > colon?
> >
> > regards, tom lane
>
> But the 'dot' notation also looks like an entry in an SNMP MIB.
> I've been thinking about a similar structure for psql storage
> of a MIB.

Well, as it logically mimics a directory structure, I finally went with a
'/' and full names instead of numbers.
And as there were no takers to help improve my understanding of how to
work with the SPI stuff, and as the docs on it are not very extensive, I
finally did the referincial integrity stuff for cross linking categories
at the application lever, where it was realatively simple to write.
'cross links' == symbolic links in a file system. In fact, logically
speaking, it is a file system.

I don't know what an 'MIB' is, but if this sort of thing is what you need,
then I can work with you, as I already have the details worked out, and I
would love to impliment some of the now-app-level-details on the database
side, where they belong.

Have a great day
Terry Mackintosh <terry(at)terrym(dot)com> http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.4
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!