Re: [INTERFACES] Data types and binary data

From: Tom Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)wolfepub(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Data types and binary data
Date: 1998-08-20 12:39:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> Where can I find a *complete* list of postgresql data types?  I have looked
> all over the web site and found what seems to be a partial list.  I assume
> it to be partial because I see no reference to the text, name, filename,
> etc. types.

Hi.

output from \dT at the isql (psql) prompt...

type     |description
---------+-------------------------------------------------------------
SET      |set of tuples
abstime  |absolute, limited-range date and time (Unix system time)
aclitem  |access control list
bool     |boolean 'true'/'false'
box      |geometric box '(lower left,upper right)'
bpchar   |blank-padded characters, length specifed when created
bytea    |variable length array of bytes
char     |single character
char16   |16 characters, fixed length
char2    |2 characters
char4    |4 characters
char8    |8 characters
cid      |command identifier type, sequence in transaction id
circle   |geometric circle '(center,radius)'
date     |ANSI SQL date 'yyyy-mm-dd'
datetime |date and time 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss'
filename |filename used in system tables
float4   |single-precision floating point number, 4-byte
float8   |double-precision floating point number, 8-byte
int2     |two-byte integer, -32k to 32k
int28    |8 2-byte integers, used internally
int4     |4-byte integer, -2B to 2B
line     |geometric line '(pt1,pt2)'
lseg     |geometric line segment '(pt1,pt2)'
money    |money '$d,ddd.cc'
name     |31-character type for storing system identifiers
oid      |object identifier type
oid8     |array of 8 oid, used in system tables
oidint2  |oid and int2 composed
oidint4  |oid and int4 composed
oidname  |oid and name composed
path     |geometric path '(pt1,...)'
point    |geometric point '(x, y)'
polygon  |geometric polygon '(pt1,...)'
regproc  |registered procedure
reltime  |relative, limited-range time interval (Unix delta time)
smgr     |storage manager
text     |native variable-length string
tid      |tuple identifier type, physical location of tuple
time     |ANSI SQL time 'hh:mm:ss'
timespan |time interval '@ <number> <units>'
timestamp|limited-range ISO-format date and time
tinterval|time interval '(abstime,abstime)'
unknown  |
varchar  |non-blank-padded-length string, length specified when created
xid      |transaction id
(46 rows)

 Cheers,
 Tom

    ----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
                    Department of Psychiatry
                              ----
 Thomas Good, System Administrator            <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
 North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services     Phone: 718-354-5528
 75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8                Fax:   718-354-5056
 Staten Island, NY   10304                    www.panix.com/~ugd
                              ----