Re: [DOCS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]y

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: David Gould <dg(at)illustra(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]y
Date: 1998-07-24 20:22:08
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> > > Okay, I've suspected there was more to "template1" for a little while now,
> > > but I'd not gotten around to looking into it more. Still, my first
> > > impression was it was a sample database. ;) Maybe a name like "master"
> > > would be clearer, or maybe that means something else to someone.
> >
> > Yes, master would be a better name than template1.
>
> I disagree. template1 is not only the "master" database, it is also used as
> as the template when creating a new database. That is, if you want to create
> all your databases with certain characteristics (say installed functions or
> types or something) you can set up template1 the way you want, dump it to
> the template dump file and then any new db will be created with your
> customization. So template1 really is a discriptive term.

Really? Neat. Okay, its descriptive. Did I miss this in the docs or forget
it? I think this should be mentioned at an appropriate place in the
beginning of the docs. Such as when discussing how to create a database.

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer         |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE  |
zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net        |  -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century