Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: Richard Lynch <lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl, James Olin Oden <joden(at)lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date: 1998-07-24 12:42:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> >> In fact, they are handled by SQL: CREATE DATABASE and DROP DATABASE. The
> >> createdb and destroydb tools just call these SQL statements....

> > Let's remove the "I don't want to think" utilities like
> >{create,destroy}{db,user} and force DBA's to actually use the *proper*
> >functions.

> While the man pages indicate that these invoke psql, and that a postmaster
> must be running, and somebody really smart could infer that that means that
> there is SQL to do the action, it would be much, much better if the man
> pages explicitly stated that it was merely a shortcut to using the sql.

I think only doing it the SQL way would be fine. Documentation would, of
course, have to cover it. I want, no need, to know what functionality
belongs to SQL and what belongs to PostgreSQL. I've certainly not got any
qualms about dropping into psql to do things. I like psql.

Bruce Tong | Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer | Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE |
zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net | -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century