Re: [INTERFACES] jdbc, Dates, and JBuilder

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: Dallas Hockley <hockleyd(at)cybersurf(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] jdbc, Dates, and JBuilder
Date: 1998-06-25 06:51:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Dallas Hockley wrote:

> Got a wee problem here, and I'm having a devil of a time locking it
> down....
>
> Using 6.3.1 Postgresql,

Get hold of the 6.3.2 version of the driver, as there were a lot of
JBuilder related additions to it since 6.3.1 (it will work with 6.3.1
backends).

> with the accompanying jdbc driver, and using
> Jbuilder 1.01 and 2.0, I am reading in a string, converting it to
> a valid and correct sql.date, putting that into a DataRow instance
> (Borland class) and committing the row to the database. The data is
> correct in the data row as it prepares for the commit.
>
> After insert, when the row is retrieved, the day is consistently 1 too
> large. e.g. 04-14-1998 becomes 04-15-1998 after it's been committed via
> the jdbc driver. What I'm not sure of is if it's the driver, the
> database, the datarow class or some interface between two of them.

This is an old Java bug that I thought I had got rid of. The
java.util.Date class seems to loose a day somewhere in the conversion
(at least this is with JDK1.1.3 which I still use).

> Has anyone experienced similar behaviour, or has anyone got a definitive
> "it can't be ..... because.... "

No, it's definitley in there.

I thought I had got rid of it by adding one to the day in ResultSet... it
looks like I'll have to add "fix Date support" to the list of things to
work on again.

--
Peter Mount, peter(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk
Postgres email to peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk & peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk