Re: [INTERFACES] binary insert with JDBC

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Sean Reilly <sreilly(at)cnri(dot)Reston(dot)Va(dot)US>
Cc: Peter Mount <peter(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>, "'interfaces postgres'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] binary insert with JDBC
Date: 1998-05-14 05:38:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Sean Reilly wrote:

> Hello,
> Thanks for taking the time to reply =)
>

> I'm using version 6.3.2. I just tried using blobs and it seems to
> take an unusually long time to retrieve the blobs (after the record
> has been retrieved). Since I know my data will be under 512 bytes,
> is there any way I can store it directly in a field in the table so
> I can avoid the extra lookup? If not, is there any way that I can
> speed up the retrieval of the blob (insertion speed doesn't matter)?
> I've already tried creating an index for the oid, but it didn't help
> much.

There is some overhead with BLOBS: On the first call, the driver has
several queries to perform to set itself up. After that, accessing a blob
is a minimum of three fastpath calls (lo_open, lo_read, lo_close).

There isn't a way (yet) to store directly into a table. There was some
discussion a few weeks ago about this, and I have started to look at this,
but it wont be available until 6.4

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk