Re: [ADMIN] Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)

From: Peter Mount <pgsqladmin(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)
Date: 1998-05-12 18:10:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, 12 May 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> I've starting writing some code against LIBPQ and the PQsetdb() call
> doesn't establish a connection. I get the following error message when I
> ran my program:
>
> "Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'zztong' using the default
> authentication type: be_recvauth: host-based authentication failed"

Check that you have pg_hba.conf setup correctly.

> Q: I saw somebody recommend a "-i" option for what seemed like a similar
> situation, but I don't see that option on the man pages. Is it related to
> my problem?

running postmaster with -i enables communication via tcp-ip sockets. The
JDBC & ODBC drivers need this to operate.

> Q: Attempts to use MS-Access with the PostODBC driver failed. Could this
> be related?

Yes (see above)

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk