Re: [ADMIN] Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: Peter Mount <pgsqladmin(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Setup and LIBPQ (Newbie)
Date: 1998-05-12 18:56:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Check that you have pg_hba.conf setup correctly.

Ahh, there's the config file. Cool. I learned a couple of things about
PostgreSQL finding it. Okay, the default should have let anything on the
same host connect, and that was true with the "psql" application.

This gives me some things to try. Thanks. I can't figure out why I didn't
see this file before since I've been to that directory. I don't remember
it being mentioned in the Administrator's Docs. Oh well. ;)

> > Q: I saw somebody recommend a "-i" option for what seemed like a similar
> > situation, but I don't see that option on the man pages. Is it related to
> > my problem?
>
> running postmaster with -i enables communication via tcp-ip sockets. The
> JDBC & ODBC drivers need this to operate.

> > Q: Attempts to use MS-Access with the PostODBC driver failed. Could this
> > be related?
>
> Yes (see above)

The "-i" option doesn't seem to be known by the /usr/bin/postmaster
application. It doesn't recognise the option and it is not in the man
pages. The PG_VERSION file says 6.1, but the software package manager
(RPM) tells me I've got version 6.2.1. Is the "-i" option part of a later
version?

Bruce Tong
Systems Programmer
Electronic Vision / FITNE