Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving varchar size

From: Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving varchar size
Date: 1998-04-28 05:36:51
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> > And the end-of-query indicator.  I think now is the time to do it if
> > we're gonna do it.  Right now, it seems most code is using libpq rather
> > than seeing the protocol directly, so fixing these problems should be
> > pretty painless.  But wasn't there some discussion recently of running
> > the protocol directly from Tcl code?  If that gets popular it will
> > become much harder to change the protocol.
> >

> Hello,
>
> Please remember that the ODBC driver handles the protocol directly, (it does
> not use libpq).  I would assume that if you guys make protocol changes you
> will post a summary of them on the interfaces list?

The JDBC driver is the same, as it too handles the protocol directly. It's
the reason why I keep an eye on any discussion that may effect it.

--
Peter T Mount  peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder (moving soon to www.retep.org.uk)