Patch to remove -Dalpha for Alphas...

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pascal Forget <pascal(at)expertiz(dot)com>, jsturm(at)zenacomp(dot)com
Subject: Patch to remove -Dalpha for Alphas...
Date: 1998-04-25 20:45:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
	Ok, I have finally gotten all of the defines for Dec/Alpha and
Linux/Alpha sorted out as Marc asked. There is no longer any need for
'-Dalpha' or '-Dlinuxalpha' in either the Dec/Alpha or the Linux/Alpha
template files (./src/template/{alpha,linuxalpha}). I have replaced every
instance of 'alpha' or '__alpha__' with '__alpha', as that appears to be
the common symbol between C compilers on both operating systems (RH4.2 &
DecUnix 4.0b) for alpha.
	Attached is the patch against the April 25 snapshot. I have
compiled and tested it on my UDB, and it does as well as straight 6.3.2. I
also compiled the patched version on my Pentium 100, and verified it does
not break anything there (and therefore should not on any other platform,
I hope...). I don't have access to a Dec/Alpha box, so would someone
please test it on such a machine? I don't see any problems occuring, but
it is best to check and make sure.  If there are any problems, send a
detailed description to me and I will get it sorted out. Of course,
patches are fine too. :)
	While this patch doesn't improve the stablity of pgsql on
Linux/Alpha, at least it paves the road, making future improvments easier
and more sane. In the future, I recommend anything that needs to be
'#ifdef'ed as alpha-spefic use the symbol '__alpha' and then everything
should work automatically, with out messing with template files, CFLAGS
lines, or defines!
	Thats about it for now, talk to you all later!

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |