Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ecpg - `exec sql delete' failing (fwd)

From: Tom Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: Thomas Good <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ecpg - `exec sql delete' failing (fwd)
Date: 1998-04-06 12:19:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> > scanf("%s", &reply);
> > if(reply == 'y') {
> > printf("\t\tEnter Client ID Number: ");
> > scanf("%d", &delete_num);
> > EXEC SQL DELETE FROM central WHERE client_id = delete_num;
> > }
> > else printf("Exiting...record not removed.\n");
> >   exit(0);
> > }

> I've already told you about scanning into a char with %s - and you haven't

Good morning, Herouth!

Roger that - I tried it and it broke the code.  The difficulty here is
not with scanning usr input.  If I hack this stanza to display stdout
via printf instead of running `exec sql' I get whatever str printf holds
echoed back to me when I reply with a `y'.

Similarly, if I enter `n' I get the `else printf' value.
Conversely, If I change the conversion specifier to a single char (%c)
I get only the `else printf' valued echoed back...  :-(

> fixed it. Anyway, I have another suspicion - shouldn't the delete above be
> "DELETE FROM central WHERE client_id = :delete_num" (with ":")?

I will give it a shot and get back to you.  Thanks for the reply!

> Seems to me that without using colon, it may think that delet_num is a
> column name.

I'm also going to section this off as a separate function() and see how
that goes...will advise.

Cheers,
Tom

> Herouth

    ----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
                    Department of Psychiatry
                              ----
 Thomas Good, System Administrator            <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
 North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services     Phone: 718-354-5528
 75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8                Fax:   718-354-5056
 Staten Island, NY   10305