Re: [INTERFACES] Broken pipe :-)

From: Peter T Mount <pgint(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Andreea Gheorghe <andi(at)sri(dot)ziua(dot)ro>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Broken pipe :-)
Date: 1998-03-04 20:31:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Andreea Gheorghe wrote:

> Sorry for the previous message, I forgotten to write the subject antet
> of e-mail :-)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have installed postgresql-6.2.1-7 on Red Hat 5.0(Hurricane).
> I need to insert a large object into a data base.
> I found in "Postgres User Manual", in section "Large Object", the sample
> example "testlo.c" - test using large object with libpq.
> I compiled this example, and there are some strange things:
> - if I try to insert in the data base a file with size smaller
> the 1K, the thinhs are Ok.
> - but, if I try to insert a larger file, I get the message:
> "broken pipe". Then, if I execute again, this program, I get the message:
> "can't create large object", this mean that "lo_creat" function failed.
>
> To insert the file in the date base is used: "lo_import" function
> from libpq.
> Did anyone have this problem? Can anybody help me?
> Thanks a lot!

Large Objects are sort of broken in 6..2.1.

When I was implementing large objects in the JDBC driver, I was getting
the same errors that you are seeing. I found it was sort of a memory leak
in fastpath that was causing the backend to dump core.

I'd advise you upgrade to 6.3 (now it's out), as it fixes this problem.

Also, lo_import/lo_export only works for files sitting on the server, not
on the client. To access files on the server, look at the examples in the
source tree.

--
Peter T Mount petermount(at)earthling(dot)net or pmount(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder