Re: Path for pgsql \i option?

From: Jason Tan <jason(at)rebel(dot)rebel(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Path for pgsql \i option?
Date: 2001-09-11 05:30:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

You can specify absolute paths.

contacts=# \! pwd
/home/jtan
contacts=# \! ls /home/jtan/Projects/contacts/db
: basedata builddb.sql granter.pl plpgsql.sql
;w basedata.sql entitydb.sql log tables
RCS belongs_to_org.sql flech logger.sql testdata.sql
Table1.txt belongs_to_org2.sql grant_apache pids testfunc
contacts=# \i /home/jtan/Projects/contacts/db/testdata.sql

The above will work.

You can also speicify relative paths:

contacts=# \!pwd
contacts=# \! ls ..
: basedata builddb.sql granter.pl plpgsql.sql
;w basedata.sql entitydb.sql log tables
RCS belongs_to_org.sql flech logger.sql testdata.sql
Table1.txt belongs_to_org2.sql grant_apache pids testfunc
contacts=#
/home/jtan/Projects/contacts/db/flech
contacts=# \i ../testdata.sql

You can also include lots of \i directives in a file you run with \i.
Eg if have a file called builddb.sq; that contains:

\i schema.sql
\i /home/cotnacts/data/base/data.sql
\i ../testdata.sql

You can then go:

\i builddb.sql

and it will try to run a file in the crrent dir called schema.sql it will run
that and it will run /home/contacts/data/base/data.sql it will then run
../testdata.sql.

You can find this stuff our really easily by trying it.

Jason

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I have a number of files I need to include during my database design and
> testing.
>
> Is there a way to specify some form of path for pgsql so when I use "\i"
> it would know what directory to try and load the file from?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Jason Tan jason(at)rebel(dot)net(dot)au
~Benjamin Franklin, 1759