Re: [GENERAL] Offical 6.5 release

From: A James Lewis <james(at)fsck(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Offical 6.5 release
Date: 1999-04-28 10:22:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I really only use postgres to teach myself about SQL and postgres at the
moment, I will be setting up a new server for home use, so I wondered if
it would be practical to set up with 6.5 beta and upgrade when the final
version is released?

Are there likley to be database structure changes before the release...
Also, I have an existing database running 6.4.0, if I upgrade the binaries
to 6.4.2 will this require a dump/reload or will I just have to
stop/upgrade/restart the postmaster?

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Has any tentative date been set for the 6.5 release? I have just about
> > convinced my company to replace their current plans to use a HUGE Oracle 8
> > database on NT with PostgreSQL on Linux. We will need to roll out working
> > systems in 2 months or so and 6.5 has a lot of features that I would like to
> > have. I'd rather not roll out 6.4.2 and then have to go to 20 different
> > sites and upgrade them to 6.5 later unless that upgrade process will be
> > easier than it has been in the past.
>
> Though we have not set a date for the 6.5 release, it would be very
> unusual for us to be in beta that long. I am confident you can expect
> 6.5 within two months.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

James (james(at)linuxrocks(dot)co(dot)uk)
It doesn't run on an open source platform,
therefore it, by definition, does not matter.