Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file

From: James Hughes <jamesh(at)interpath(dot)com>
To: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file
Date: 1998-01-27 11:14:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 Jan 1998, Goran Thyni wrote:

:
: On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
:
: :
: : When the postmaster crashes, it leaves the /tmp/.s.pgsql file in /tmp.
: : Is there a way to auto-remove it after a postmaster crash?
: :

<snip>

: I will look at removing the file on startup when I'm in there.
:
: Don't, it gets removed at shutdown except when crashing.
: Removing at startup opens a whole new can of worms.
: (You must no postmaster is not already running.)
:

How about in postmaster.c (arround line 427), when starting up...

1.) Check for the existence of a pid file.

2.) If one is there, read the pid and see if a back end is alive.

3.) If so, warn the user and exit.

4.) If not, check for and cleanup any leftover files.

5.) Continue with startup process.

...wouldn't this work OK?

-James