Re: Postgress and MYSQL

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: Matt Davies <matt(at)mattdavies(dot)net>
Cc: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date: 2004-01-14 21:37:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

> Imagine this: more users, more installations, more (selective) development
> fingers. Not all users are rocket scientists, but the video game rule applies
> to many: if I can't get it going in X (user preference) minutes then it isn't
> worth the trouble. Should PG be limited to only those who are hard core DB
> users? If so, I don't think PG will take off as fast.

We need a Postgres vs MySQL Mailing list :)

Honestly PG is easy to get up and running on several distributions. On
RH, service postgres start willgive you a running Postgres (it will do an
initdb if needed). Now just create a user and get going.

PG is only hard because people _think_ it's going to be hard. Or because
it used to be hard. However, it hasn't been hard for a long time.

I also don't think "how fast will this take off" is necesarily a good
design requirement.

Jon