Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /
Date: 2003-11-21 23:00:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

As far as I'm aware, MAXDB is completely different from MySQL, although
it's sold by the same company. It's basically SAP's DB, which is really
just a fork off of Adabas D, which has been a mainframe database for a
long time.

So, it really has nothing to do with MySQL, just the MySQL company.

I looked into SAPDB once a long time ago. It has several good features,
including:

* Oracle 7 compatibility mode
* Several data warehousing enhancements
* My favorite - TABLESPACES!!

It was near impossible to install, but seemed to work a lot like Oracle.
Just my impression.

Again, this has nothing to do with the MySQL product. Also, MySQL has a
lot pbigger budget for PR than PG.

Jon