Re: About GPL and proprietary software

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: Gianni Mariani <gianni(at)mariani(dot)ws>
Cc: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About GPL and proprietary software
Date: 2003-09-02 21:10:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

1) GCC has an exception in it's clause that says that code inserted from
GCC itself is not covered by the GPL

2) The Linux libraries are LGPL, not GPL

3) BSD has no problem with this, as all of their headers are BSD. They
include small amounts of code from GCC, but that is covered under the
exception #1 above.

Now, what many people don't realize is that _statically_ linking with
glibc DOES require your program to be GPL or LGPL. Many companies are
linking illegally (I used to work for one). The remedy is not "all your
code are belong to us" but rather "You must stop doing this". EXCEPTION -
you can statically link proprietary software to LGPL code provided you
also distribute your unlinked binaries as well, so the end user could
relink to a later version if they wanted to.

Jon