Re: warm database, tape device backup

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: milos(dot)babic(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warm database, tape device backup
Date: 2009-02-06 18:55:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, milos(dot)babic(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Can we use on-line backup
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html) using
> pg_start_backup and place backup segments onto a tape device directly,
> without using the disk storage temporarily (because we have 1,5 TB
> database)?

Yes, you can directly backup the database onto tape once you've issued
pg_start_backup. However, the "Setting up WAL archiving" step is not
optional here. That backup is useless unless you then also write to tape
the WAL archives that are generated while the backup is running. You need
to make sure all the segments referred to by the output from
pg_stop_backup are pushed to tape before your backup is complete.

There's some additional text and links to resources on this topic at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Warm_Standby you may find a useful in
addition to the manual here.