Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Date: 2008-12-05 08:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A seriously substantial portion of the diff for this patch all is
supporting trivial renaming, like changing everything that uses:

- TypeName *typename = (TypeName *) cmd->def;
+ TypeName *typeName = (TypeName *) cmd->def;

Is that really necessary? After going through a few pages of diff code
where supporting this trivial bit was the only change, my eyes glazed
over. Minimizing diff size makes it much more likely somebody will
complete a review of the functional parts of your submission before
getting bored.

If it is needed, I'd suggest you'd get a warmer reception here submitting
two diffs, one that just did the renaming and a second that actually had
the functional bits in it. Then it would be possible to casually scan the
renaming one for a second to see it was trivial and boring, followed by a
review of the functional one that was focused on its real changes.