Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-11-13 22:21:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> don't bother with os.sysconf, or make it optional and error-trap it.

Right, I've moved in that direction in the updated rev I already
sent--memory is an input value, but if you leave it out it tries to guess.
Just need a bit more error trapping around that I think, then I can add
Windows support too.  A goal I don't think is unreachable here is to give
a useful middle of the road tuning on most platforms if you just run it
but don't tell it anything.

> In the advanced version, we'll also want to ask...

I'm pretty focused right now only on getting a simple version solidified,
to keep the scope under control.  Thanks for the more focused parameter
suggestions.  The spreadsheet version I had from you was a bit too
complicated to work with, this reformulation is much easier to automate.

> Because this comes up so often, we should output to a seperate file a
> set of sysctl.conf lines to support SysV memory, depending on OS.

Agreed, will add that to the required feature list.

> BTW, I think this is still in enough flux that we really ought to make
> it a pgfoundry project.  I don't think we'll have anything ready for 8.4
> contrib.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.  I'll have another rev that
incorporates all your feedback done within a week.  There are some pretty
hairy patches still active in this final 'Fest.  I think I'll have the
simple version feature complete, documented, and have already done a round
of polishing at least a week or two before all that work wraps up.