Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-11-09 07:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I'd start with command-line switches, e.g.
> config --memory=32GB --type=DW --size=500GB --connections=20

Attached version takes all its input via command line switches.  If you
don't specify an explict number of connections, it also implements setting
max_connections via some of the logic from your calcfactors spreadsheet.
I think using more of the ideas from there will drive me crazy unless I
put that into a text file it pulls in instead of a bunch of if statements.
I'm not sure if that much of the complexity of that larger model is
warranted at this point; could use a second opinion on that.

Here's the syntax it accepts now:

$ ./pg-generate-conf --help
Usage: pg-generate-conf [options]

   --version             show program's version number and exit
   -h, --help            show this help message and exit
   -i INPUTCONFIG, --input-config=INPUTCONFIG
                         Input configuration file
   -o OUTPUTCONFIG, --output-config=OUTPUTCONFIG
                         Output configuration file, defaults to standard output
   -M TOTALMEMORY, --memory=TOTALMEMORY
                         Total system memory, will attempt to detect if
                         unspecified
   -T DBTYPE, --type=DBTYPE
                         Database type, defaults to Mixed, valid options are
                         DSS, OLTP, Web, Mixed, Desktop
   -c CONNECTIONS, --connections=CONNECTIONS
                         Maximum number of expected connections, default
                         depends on database type
   -D, --debug           Enable debugging mode

I've realized I need to duplicate all the memory setting parsing stuff
from the GUC code (as well as the code in SHOW that picks a reasonable
output size) as my next step here, that will be in my next update to this
program.