Re: Add default_val to pg_settings

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add default_val to pg_settings
Date: 2008-09-25 15:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Simon Riggs wrote:

> I would suggest we either alter pg_settings so that we display value
> *only* when source=default (set NULL otherwise) or we do some extra work
> to derive what the setting would be if we ran RESET. The latter would be
> preferred approach.

Since getting the value out when the source!=default is exactly the point
for the applications I was talking about, I'll rewrite the patch to expose
the reset_val as well and resubmit shortly.

Thanks for the feedback, your comments helped clarify the use-case for
reset_val a bit better for me and I'll be sure to document the two columns
appropriately. One perspective I don't get to see very often is that of a
regular user adjusting their settings.