Re: Database Conversion

From: Ben Kim <bkim(at)tamu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Conversion
Date: 2008-09-04 14:33:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
> I have a new faculty member who has a large database that is in
> MySQL.  We don't support MySQL so the database needs to be ported to
> PostgreSQL.  Her GA, who know MySQL, says that he has a query that he
> will run that will put the data into postgres.  I thought that the
> data would have to be output to a text file and then copied into
> postgres.  I don't know MySQL.  I've done a conversion from Oracle
> and this is how I did it.  Is he correct that he can put the data
> into a postgres database by running a MySQL query?  It doesn't sound
> possible to me.

I don't think mysql has anything that exports data into postgresql. Unless
he is talking about the likes of DTS/SSIS or perl DBI, or other tools. Or
the tables are simple and he thinks he can ingeniously craft queries and
run them through pipes eventually to psql. DDL will be more difficult.

Regards,
Ben