Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception
Date: 2008-08-29 04:45:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

> In linux, it's possible to tell the OOM killer never to consider
> certain processes for the axe, using /proc magic.  See this page:
> http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer
>
> Perhaps this should be in the PostgreSQL docs somewhere?

The fact that
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/kernel-resources.html#AEN22218
tells you to flat-out turn off overcommit is the right conservative thing
to be in the documentation as I see it.  Sure, it's possible to keep it on
but disable the worst side-effect in some kernels (looks like 2.6.11+, so
no RHEL4 for example).  Trying to get into all in the manual is kind of
pushing what's appropriate for the PostgreSQL docs I think.