Re: Split up the wiki TODO page?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: direvus(at)gmail(dot)com, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Split up the wiki TODO page?
Date: 2008-08-26 07:15:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

>> WARNING: This page is 106 kilobytes long; some browsers may have
>> problems editing pages approaching or longer than 32kb.
> Hmm ... my browser isn't failing, but I do seem to detect a certain lack
> of snappiness to the edits.

There haven't been any popular browsers with the 32kb limit around since
circa 2002. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_size#Web_browsers_which_have_problems_with_long_articles
for details. The practical limit for any recent browser is 400KB, almost
4X as large as the article is now. For comparison, the longest page on
Wikipedia proper is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_British_throne at
362kb.

There's certainly been a recent flurry of activity as this page has been
tweaked to meet pent up demand for an easy to edit TODO list, I have my
doubts the real limit here will be hit anytime soon.

The usual way to handle editing larger documents like this one with better
responsiveness is to edit section at a time, using the [edit] buttons on
the right of each section rather than the one at the top. If you're not
doing that already that might help you out.

Not arguing against breaking it into sections (don't really care either
way), just pointing out that it may not actually be necessary.