Re: Python 2.5 vs the buildfarm

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Python 2.5 vs the buildfarm
Date: 2008-07-29 17:03:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Someone taking the step from Python 2.4 to 2.5 might as well do a major
> upgrade of PostgreSQL as well.

It takes a few seconds to upgrade Python versions, and I know I've
installed Python 2.5 from source on a production server before while not
touching anything else (after going through that process on a staging
duplicate).

How long it takes to upgrade PostgreSQL is proportional to the size of
your database, and that can easily take far longer than an acceptable
downtime window. This is how you can end up companies who are up to date
on everything else on their server, but still running an old PostgreSQL.

I once watched a company roll out a shiny new server (on the same
architecture) to improve performance, with the newer Linux distribution
required to support that hardware. But they downgraded to an older PG
version so it could still run against the existing database, on an
external array, because that was too big to dump and reload before the
system had to be back up. As Greg was pointing out, such craziness really
does happy specifically because there's no good upgrade in place mechanism
available.